[OM] Re: OM2000

Subject: [OM] Re: OM2000
From: Norm <normc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 13:54:35 +0100
Got to agree with Joel, this is a remarkable camera for the price.

I bought mine to use as a spare body and because I wanted spot
metering, an OM4(T(i)) or 3 not being an option at the moment!  But
I'm finding that its rapidly becoming body #1.  Perhaps I should
warn folks that I've never been much of a fan of the handling of OM
bodies, but I like the lenses too much to change.

Likes:

Spot meter.  It works.  I find its left in spot mode more often than
not.
Lightweight body. Mine does a lot of miles on foot and every little
bit helps.
Body shape.  Each to their own, but I find the thicker body of the
OM2000 more comfortable, especially with bigger lenses.
Viewfinder.  Brighter than my OM-1n.
Shutter speed dial.  Maybe its blasphemy, but somehow I've never
much liked the shutter speed ring around the lens mount of the other
OMs.
Mirror lock up when releasing on the timer.
More positive feel of the shutter release than the OM1.  Maybe my
OM1 is getting a bit old and tired.
Zuiko lens mount, obviously!
Mechanical shutter. 1/2000sec top speed.

Dislikes:

Shutter lock when the wind lever is fully in.  Got to agree with
Joel again. Just haven't bothered with the modification on mine
because its not *that* much of a problem, really.  Sloping forehead,
perhaps.
Overall more flimsy/plasticy feel than the OM1.  Just doesn't feel
it can take the same amount of abuse the poor old OM1 does and I
find myself instinctively handling it more carefully. The battery
compartment cover is plastic and I suspect the threads are delicate.

No mirror lock independant of the timer.
No facility for a winder.
Film rewind button on the bottom. At least with my tripod, this
means I have to take the camera off the tripod to rewind the
film.... grrrrrrr! I need a ball head.
Film rewind lever.  Daft shape, uncomfortable to use.
Noisier than the OM1.

Indifferences:

LEDs for the meter in the viewfinder.  Works ok when you get used to
it.  Think I still prefer the analogue movement of the OM1s needle,
though.

All in all I'm very impressed.  Excellent for the price.  The only
significant dislike is the lack of robustness.  I suppose time will
tell if this is a problem.

Cheers

Norm

--