Re: [OM] omPC- what is esp metering

Subject: Re: [OM] omPC- what is esp metering
From: Brian Windrim <brian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 12:23:26 +0100 (BST)
Warren wrote:

> This is a simple matrix metering system that compares a small spot type
of
> sensor in the middle of the photo to the surrounding area using
averaging
> type metering.  If there is a difference then it will bias the exposure
> toward the single spot sensor. This obviously mades it useful for
portraits
> where the background is darker or lighter than the subject. (Someone
might
> want to correct me on whether it works both ways.)

I seem to remember from the brochure pictures that the OM40/pc
uses a very similar 2-area silicon sensor (and fresnel sub-mirror)
to that of the OM2sp/3/4.

Oddly enough, the Mju-II/Stylus Epic seems to use a similar
spot/averaged smart metering to that of the OM40/pc (with the added
option of switching into spot-only mode) so the technology isn't
entirely dead.

-Brian