Re: [OM] T20 + OM2 - fill flash?

Subject: Re: [OM] T20 + OM2 - fill flash?
From: wiliam.wagenaar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 12:19:19 +0100

Dirk Wright wrote:
-----
>OK, I have a problem about getting fill flash using a OM2n + the T20 flash.
>The manual just says, " use the T20 in manual mode". But, how do you
>control the flash power that way? There is no film setting on the flash
>itself, like I'm used to on after market flashes (sunpak, vivitar, etc), so
>I can't do the old trick of setting the film speed on the flash to twice
>the actual film speed to get half power (or to 4x film speed to get quater
>power, etc). Am I correct in assuming that the T20 is not designed for this
>purpose?
>

>Be seeing you.
>
>Dirk Wright
-----
Dirk,

If you set the T20 to "manual" it really is in manual, UNLESS it is attached to
a TTL capable OM-camera (OM-2n, OM-2s, OM-4, OM-4Ti, and More?) Not the OM-2
which will only support the QA310 flash.

If attached to one of these, setting the flash to manual and the caera to auto
will result in TTL/OTF flash, Olympus pioneered in the 70's. Exposure is
controlled by the camera body. There is no way to actually vary the
ambient/flash combination, other than changing aperture which will result in
shorte or longer flash duration, but will still keep the shutter open for the
same 1/60 sec.

If you do not see film setting on the back of the T20, then you have to rotate
thecalculator panel. Ath the back of the flash at the right hand bottom side of
the panel stating "designed for OM-2n"(or something of the like) there is a
little black button. Push it and the panel will come loose to slide out to the
right hand side.

Rotate it uposide down and slide it back in. You will see a caculator panel with
film speed and appropriate aperture settings. Also ofter flipping the panel you
are able to move the lever to the right to chose between "manual" and two
aperture settings.

If there is no panel to be (re)moved, you are allways able to slide the lever
and the calculator panel is missing. I believe they still can be ordered from
olympus or you can try to find one from 2nd hand market. Also if you mainly use
one film speed someone owning a complete T20 may be willing co make a copy of
the panel when set to the correct film speed the aparture settings wont change
if you keep the same film speed.

Hope this helps and I explained everything clear.

Wiliam Wagenaar, Middelburg, the Netherlands