Re: [OM] lenses / abstract photography

Subject: Re: [OM] lenses / abstract photography
From: Joey Richards <bigjoe@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 02:25:31 -0400
Many thanks to all those who commented on the 24mm/28mm/wide angle
question.  Your advice, suggestions, and collective experiences
are much appreciated.

I still haven't quite made up my mind, but I will one of these days.

It's great fun to observe the response to questions like "which
lens is best" on this list... heh.  From the fact that no two people
seemed to agree both on their favorite wide angle or their reasons
for liking that lens, I take away the lesson that the only way to
find out much is to try the lenses out.  But then, I already knew
that... now if only I could afford to buy all the damn wide angles...

I'll be sure to let you all know when I 1) get the lens and 2) have
something worth showing shot with it.

On a totally unrelated note, I just got out of the darkroom getting
ready for my photo class's first assignment (which is due today).
The assignment was to find, shoot, and print abstract forms with
focus on nonrepresentational composition.  It was a lot of fun and
surprisingly difficult.  I (and I suspect many others) have regarded
the photographic process as "taking" a picture rather than "making"
one.  I found it very instructive to try to forget about what the
subject was, instead finding the interesting shapes, shades, highlights,
and shadows.  I hope that I can apply the compositional lessons from
this exercise to more standard photo shooting.

As a first darkroom experience, this was an interesting direction
to go, as well.  In some ways, I think it made the task of producing
a properly exposed print easier.  Since representation was put aside,
often the prints which were too dark or too light seemed to do a better
job of highlighting the composition than did the more properly exposed
examples.  Although one could argue it's a mistake to learn to get
away with improper print exposure right off, the fact that it took
a little pressure off made it easier just to screw around.  ...and
that's what learning seems to be about.  :-)

joey

(who is excited about that, and about the fact that his cable modem
was installed today, once again giving him a 1.5 megabit net connection
from the comfort of his bedroom...)