RE: [OM] scratches inside metal hood -cause for concern?

Subject: RE: [OM] scratches inside metal hood -cause for concern?
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 09:35:39 -0700
From: "Chip Stratton" <cstrat@xxxxxxxxx>

I am still puzzled by how blacking the lettering on a 50/3.5 macro objective
ring could affect it's imaging. No part of the lettering is within the angle of
view of any part of the lens...

With macro lenses, one is so close to the subject that direct reflections can come back from the subject.

Consider the degenerate case of shooting a mirror at macro distances. With no lettering (or blackened lettering), you see nothing, or perhaps a dark outline of the lens. With white on the front, it clearly shows up in the mirror.

This degenerate case is not so far-fetched when you consider using the T-10 ringlight and cross-polarizer to shoot through glass. In such a case, it might make a visible difference. The same situation could occur when shooting jewelry or other highly reflective objects.

Note that in the macro realm, scratches inside a hood might also be visible as direct reflections. I'm personally dubious about their effect at more "normal" shooting distances.

Of the Zuiko macros I know, only the 50/3.5 and 135/4.5 have white lettering visible to the subject. The others have the lettering printed radially around the outside of the filter threads.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>