Re: [OM] OM-40 <-> OM-4Ti (Was: no title)

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-40 <-> OM-4Ti (Was: no title)
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 06:12:14 -0600
At 11:58 AM 10/4/99 +0200, Olaf Greve wrote:

[snip]

>I'm actually fine-tuning my skills for taking portraits, and
>the above combo really works well, although the 100/2 can be a bit too
>"revealing", so I may start using some light diffusor filters (can anyone
>recommend me a good one?) too for some shots (although I personally quite
>like these razor sharp pictures), the 81A seems to be just good enough for
>correcting the "coldness" of the flashlight, I think an 81B will be
>overdone.

Olaf:

To soften the edge on the 100/2.0, I use a Tiffen Softnet filter (white net if
I want a bit of contrast reduction or "dreamy" effect [flare], black net if all
I really want is a reduction in sharpness...).  They work really well, and come
in a variety of "strengths" (proportionate to the "tightness" of the net
weave).  I usually use strength 1 or 2.  The Tiffens are also uncoated, FYI.

Another possibility is a fog filter -- I use a Kenko "Foggy" for this.
Stronger than the Softnets, more of the "dreamy" quality, but can produce some
fabulous images.  A bit harder to focus through than the Softnets, though.
Also uncoated.

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/