Re: [OM] Creative Filters

Subject: Re: [OM] Creative Filters
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 15:50:41 +0100
Richard Ross wrote:

>At 23:10 30/09/99 +0100, Keith (R.K.) Berry wrote:
>>I agree about the slides but Paint Shop Pro has numerous ways of rescuing
>>burnt out sky, and I suppose that's the primary task I use it for.
>
>My point was that you can't put back what has been removed as a result of
>exceeding the film's range.  You can of course put in *something else* with
>Paint Shop :-)

Agreed, I'd normally use a 'fictitious' sky using either a graduated fill or
one manufactured by the Clouds filter, but if you really wanted that
particular sky you could make a second exposure metering for it, dragging it
onto a lower layer in PSP and cutting through to it. Once you've applied a
fancy filter to a photo it can be difficult to remove, whereas a clean shot
can be adjusted over and over in a myriad of ways without losing the
original. (A completely blank, white sky is the easiest to adjust.)
Those awful graduated tobacco coloured skies that were prevalent a few years
ago really put me off creative filters.

Regards,
Keith Berry (Birmingham, England)
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx