Re: lens hoods (was [OM] Performance of 21mm lenses)

Subject: Re: lens hoods (was [OM] Performance of 21mm lenses)
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 16:50:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, Jan Steinman wrote:

> * they make the lenses harder to fit in the bag,

  They fit in my Lowe-Pros, Tamracs & Tenbas

> * most preclude the use of a lens cap,

  Which means they're ready for use. Lens caps IMHO, are like never-ready
  cases.

> * changing filters is a pain,

  Twice the trouble, in fact.

> * a loose lens with a hood tends to roll unpredictably,

  On the contrary, they roll in a J-form (just tried it on my desk).

       Whatever works for you...other advantages...

   * They keep some dust and fingers off the lens while not compromising
     readyness.

   * Shades absorb shocks of minor hits.

   * They're handy for resting the lens on something without scratching
     it.

   * From what I read, you gain the equivalent of one grade paper contrast
     because of flare reduction.

   Jan's mileage obviously varies. To each his own.

                                   *= Doris Fang =*