Re: [OM] Zuiko 50/3.5 macro

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 50/3.5 macro
From: Frank van Lindert <Frank.van.Lindert@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 13:39:43 +0200
On Mon, 27 Sep 1999 09:18:56 GMT, "Tobias Andersson"
<tox1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hi all!
>
>I found a New Zuiko 50/3.5 in box, never used for sale at $225.
>
>My question is wether it is worth it's price.

Yes, Tobias - it is certainly worth its price.
You could find a used one cheaper, but for a new one the price is good
- and of course you will have the manufacturers guarantees you would
otherwise miss.

>Anybody got experience with it? How about it's performance? I have checked
>G. Reese's tests out, but I'd like additional information about the lens.

>Contrasty?
>Sharp?
>Easy to focus?
>For use in general photography or do you recommend it only for macro shots?
>Is there a difference between the SC and the MC versions?
>Any other useful info or comments?

Contrast and sharpness are good.

This certainly is a good lens. The focusing is easy enough when doing
macro (you will have full profit from the long helicoid) but slightly
less compared with the other 50's for normal 'standard' use.

When I travel light I take only a 50 macro with me if I expect to make
close-up shots and when the day is bright enough - otherwise I also
carry a fast 50mm lens. The lens, although intended for macro, gives
acceptable results when used as a standard lens too (although not on
par with the 50/1.8 and faster lenses)

About MC: I have never seen this lens SC - although it probably
exists....

>Thanks in advance from Sweden
>Tobias Andersson.

Enjoy this lens (I am sure you cannot resist it!)

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht - Holland.