Re: [OM] Toning prints

Subject: Re: [OM] Toning prints
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 00:06:55 +0100
Daryl Hurley wrote:
>...The prints were dried by sticking them on windows.  The
>"tinting" was apparently the result of his use of a thin coating of motor
>oil on the windows to keep the emulsion from sticking to the glass...

Long before RC paper, squeegeeing a wet print to a well-cleaned piece of
glass and leaving to dry naturally was a recommended way of glazing (if you
didn't have a heated drier with chrome plates) but it rarely worked for me.
Usually only part of the print came unstuck and I'd have to soak the glass
to get it off again, (I wasn't allowed to use the windows - probably just as
well!), leaving the print with a part glazed finish, often with
tortoiseshell markings. I never thought of using motor oil, probably because
there were no motor vehicles in the family in those days.

Regards,
Keith Berry (Birmingham, England)
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx