Re: [OM] Re: OM Users sight, EX NGS., Many Topics

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OM Users sight, EX NGS., Many Topics
From: GFaulk7376@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 12:29:18 EDT
Topic 1
Outdoor Photographer's April 1990 cover story and photo were by William
Thompson. The story title was "Eye on the Roof of the World" and all of the
photo's save one were taken with OM 3's and 4's. The photo's are aerial views
of the Himalayas and, no, a SUV was not used to transport William Thompson
above Everest. Lenses used were the 100f2.0, 28f2.8, 180f2.0, and 21f2.0.
Also, Thompson was the photographer featured in one of the early OM 4 ad's.
Topic 2
Finding rare OM stuff is still one of life's little joys for me, but I have
noticed a severe decline in available good stuff over the last few years.
What I have done is to expand my search to third party lenses that are
potentially useful for my work (or because I want them and can hide the
purchase from my wife). There are still some very good buys out there with
lenses like Tokina ATX's and Sigma APO's. I found a Tokina 80-200f2.8 in
great shape for $250.00 and, of course, Oly has never made anything with this
speed so purchase justification was easy. The last couple of weeks has seen
Tokina 50-250 ATX' s sell for very low prices on E-BAY. This lens is quite
good and a nice fit for our Oly's with its  55 mm front thread. The point of
all this rambling is... ? well, I'm not quite sure but searching for good
third party lenses does open the door for potential bargains.
Topic 3
To Sam Morales,
Hi Sam, how many 350's do you own now? Come on, be honest.
Topic 4
I just bought a 1974 Oly catalog  by Ponders and Best, original Oly marketers
in the US. The lens chart and photo's show the 400f4.5 and 300f6.3. In the
bottom right of the system photo is another lens I don't recognize. Filter
size is larger than 55 mm and smaller than 72 mm. This lens and the 300 and
400 mentioned above are gone in the 1975 version of this catalog. Any ideas?
Gary Faulkenberry