[OM] Black & white portraits - post mortem

Subject: [OM] Black & white portraits - post mortem
From: John Hudson <jahudson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 15:48:10 -0700
Thanks to everyone for their opinions on b/w and C41 b/w film, filters,
lenses, etc in response to my recent  message asking for advice on same.

I finally opted for Kodak T400CN  C41 process b/w film. I used only u/v
filters on 50/1.4, 100/2.8 and 135/3.5 lenses on my OM4T and shot late in
the afternoon last Saturday on my back yard deck using available light
.......... low in the sky sun through the trees in the urban forest behind
my house which gave just the right amount of light. Some shots I got with
my subject's face illuminated with rays of light and other with more
difused lighting. The photos have been printed on colour paper and although
the blacks are not as solid black as they would have been had they been
printed on b/w paper they are more appealling to my eye. There is just the
most minute tinge of sepia in the prints which give them a very very slight
sense of warmth. I used the spot meter in the camera and metered
exclusively on the lady's face. Exposures were generally about 1/30 @ f8
using a monopod.

The results are simply ............. outstanding!! I could not have wished
for better. Whether it is the film, the camera, or the lenses, or having a
very photogenic and willing subject, or all of the above, I am not only
sold on T400CN but on b/w portraits as well. Not having done any b/w since
1970 or so this has been a whole new discovery.

John Hudson