Re: [OT] SUVs, peace (was: [OM] New OM-1N and battery problem)

Subject: Re: [OT] SUVs, peace (was: [OM] New OM-1N and battery problem)
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 13:05:01
At 08:35 AM 9/21/99 -0500, you wrote:

>Who can tell you what sort of car you need? Couldn't we just as
>easily suggest that if everyone would move from the suburbs back
>into downtown that they wouldn't need a car at all?

some people do just that.

Do any of us NEED
>our precious Zuikos?

well....don't go there....

Do we really NEED cable TV, telephones, or air
>conditioning?

A/C revolutionized the workplace. At allowed much more work to get done
than before. Mr. Carrier was a genuis. I don't have cable TV though.

Couldn't we just get by with a few skins, a berry bush,
>and a good cave?

he he, <FS>: Cozy cave in an excellent neighborhood! great school caves
nearby! Just right for that first time cave buyer!

>I grew up & live on a farm. I suppose even the eco-folks would
>grudgingly admit that I can justify a pickup or an SUV. On the
>farm, we've had SUVs (jeeps, suburbans, scouts, 4 door trucks) as
>long
>as I can remember - farm hands have to get around the farm somehow,
>and we figured it wouldn't hurt if they could be comfortable doing so
>- the rest of their job sure isn't.

what about horses??? <g>

>But I also drove a Bronco when I was playing music in the city full
>time. I liked the way it handled, I could afford it, it had plenty of
>room for my gear and a couple of other musicians, could tow a
>trailer, and I could sleep in the back if I had to.
>
>Do you suppose someone could tell just by looking whether I NEEDED
>the Bronco? Should I have run my vehicle decision by the ethics board
>to be sure they approved of my choice of vehicles?

nah, you needed a chevy suburban. why fool around? get a *real* suv! <g>

>In a society that rightfully chastises people for making assumptions
>based on ethnicity, religion, gender, or age, isn't it a little
>absurd to make judgement calls on someone's choice of vehicle? Isn't
>liberty all about freedom of choice and freedom of expression?

because the car is ingrained into the american identity. you are what you
drive. And if someone's a suburban twit driving a vehicle that's too large
for thier skill level, then they are a danger to others on the road. That's
the main thing that I & others hate about suv's. It's not the vehicles,
it's the lack of skill of the drivers. I used to have a full size Dodge Ram
150 (with the 8 foot bed). I remember the steep learning curve of handling
such a beast. I remember also dinging a red Mazda RX-7 while trying to park
the thing soon after I bought it.

While I drive a more eco-friendly small car (a Saturn), most suv and
minivan drivers are oblivious to any other vehicles that are at least as
large a barn. They also seem to automatically forget how to use thier turn
signals once they occupy the driver's seat in one of these things. I can't
imagine what's going to happen once I get my Sparrow:
http://www.gmelectricvehicles.com/main1.htm I'm glad these things come in
neon green and yellow!

Finally, americans pride themselves on thier individuality, yet they rush
around like cattle (or lemmings?) buying suv's and minivans. It's the
hypocrisy of this herd mentality that's so annoying.

Hope this helps.

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright