RE: [OM] Print Copying

Subject: RE: [OM] Print Copying
From: Smoliga Nick Contr AEDC/SVT <Nick.Smoliga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 09:55:44 -0500
I use a dual path for copying old family photographs. First, to preserve the
image for the future, I photograph it in B&W to make a long-lasting, high
resolution, 35mm negative. An OM auto-bellows, various standard (i.e.,
non-macro)  Zuiko lenses, and a home-made copy stand work well enough for my
purposes. Then (since this summer, when I got a Olympus film scanner and an
Acer 620ST flat-bed scanner to handle the old roll-film negatives and work
with the SCSI interface on my PC), I scan either the original or the 35mm
negative to get a digital copy to manipulate on my computer.

A key point in any archiving venture is that the data must migrate to new
storage medium in a timely fashion. Within my memory, tape cassettes and
8-inch floppy disks were the storage media of choice on PC's. There are
still a very few PC's with 5.25" floppies at my work. How long before 3.5"
floppies and CD's become obsolete? Remember that hard drives always crash,
so they aren't archival storage.

Migration to contemporary storage media is a vital consideration for digital
data in aerospace work. The Germans who were brought to the US after W.W.II
always felt most comfortable with a stack of paper in their desk drawer.
There's something to be said for that attitude, especially if it's acid-free
paper.

Nick Smoliga
smoliga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
SvT TF12 - Investment Projects