Re: Sv: [OM] FIXED OR ZOOM

Subject: Re: Sv: [OM] FIXED OR ZOOM
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 14:08:45 +0000
Giles wrote:

>The 50mm f2 macro and 50mm f1.2, 28mm f2, 90mm f2 macro, 180mm f2 and
>250mm f2 probably top it and that is just amongst Zuikos
>
>Giles
>
>Barry B. Bean wrote:
>
>> Strange, my impression has always been that the Zuiko 50/1.8 was one
>> of the finest lenses ever made.

Nothing beats real world results, and in my world, which seems pretty real
to me, the 50/1.8 scores every time.  It's cheap, small, light, and I often
use the zoom feature - my legs  ;-)    IMHO lens tests are useful (a big
thanks to Gary for his continuing hard work), but it's good to remind
ourselves that there is more to photography.  I took my OM2n, some HP5+, the
50/1.8, a 24/2.8 SC ("Single Coated, how quaint") and an orange filter to
Dublin in July, and felt I had everything I required.

Check out Gary's test results for the H.Zuiko 24/2.8 SC and weep, all ye f/2
MC glass junkies  :-)

Vignetting = C @ f/2.8, B+ @ f/4, A- @ f/5.6
Distortion = slight barrel (none?)
Aperture  Center    Corner
f/2.8     A-        B
f/4       A         A-
f/5.6     A         A-
f/8       A-        A-
f/11      A-        A
f/16      B+        A-

Roll on ADITL2 I say, it'll be 50mm's at dawn, you scoundrels.  I'll be
armed with my trusty 50/1.8 and I'm quick on the draw.  It's a well-used
item of 1983 vintage, and you'd better remember, one shot is all I need.  I
am fleet of foot and my aim is true.

Simon E (a Zuikoholic in denial, also suffering from the shock of seeing sun
in Wales in September).