RE: [OM] 90f2 with 80f4 CU lens (was OM2000 vs OM3)

Subject: RE: [OM] 90f2 with 80f4 CU lens (was OM2000 vs OM3)
From: Ross Waite <rmwaite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 14:29:29 +1000
On Tuesday, September 07, 1999 4:18 AM, Giles [SMTP:cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx]
wrote:

> Does anyone know how a 90mm f2 + the close-up lens for the 80mm f4
performs?

Giles

The 80mm close up lens is a 49mm thread size.  I will need a 55 to 49 mm
step down adaptor to use it with the 90mm f2.  Also the element section of
the close up lens is only around 25mm in diameter, with the surrounding
area being black metal.  Just holding it in front of my 90/2 seems to show
some vignetting wide open which reduces as it is stopped down.  (I don't
own a step down ring.)   It appears to allow slightly better than 1:1
magnification ratio.  (All this is non scientific I know.)

A better option may be a Nikon T series close up lens.  These are high
quality 2 element designs, specifically for use with focal lengths from
80mm to 200mm, and have been highly recommended by John Shaw in his book
"Closeups In Nature".  They come in 2 strengths and 2 filter sizes:

3T = mag +1.5, 52mm
4T = mag +3.0, 52mm
5T = mag +1.5, 62mm
6T = mag +3.0, 62mm

I have used the 4T with a 49mm to 52mm step up ring on my old Tamron SP
90mm f2.5 macro lens with good results.  When I am travelling light, it
saves taking extension tubes to get to 1:1.  I have just sent some slides
for processing with a few test shots using the 4T on the 85 f2.  I will
probably take this combo on my trip next year to UK, Ireland & Europe to
give me some macro capability without the weight and bulk of either of the
90mm macro lenses.  I did some direct comparisons at around 1/2 life size
with the 90/2.  I will let you know how they compare.

I am thinking about getting a 6T plus 55mm to 62mm step up ring to use with
the 90/2 but it won't be for a while yet.

Cheers
Ross Waite