RE: [OM] Looking for tripod advice

Subject: RE: [OM] Looking for tripod advice
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 23:37:08 -0400
Richard,
I certainly agree with you, the Benbo is the best tripod I've used.  I
haven't seen a Uniloc, they sound excellent.
Although the Manfrotto/Bogen is sturdy, there is no way it can compare to
the flexibility of the Benbo.

Interestingly enough, the weight of my 3401 and the Mk1 are the same.  I'd
like another tripod at times for the lighter weight, but I just sold my
Gitzo Reporter to my boss.  Like you, I had problems releasing bottom
section and the grips didn't always want to cooperate.

Brian P. Huber

Troy, OH
bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx
Clyde Soles wrote:

> > Macro
> >photography in the field is rife with compromises  - you can either get
> >some support
> >from the Benbo - sufficient in my opinion - make the shot hand held or
> >don't bother
> >even trying because you cant get into position with a normal tripod.

> Unless you use a Bogen Magic Arm clamped to said normal tripod. Then you
> can put the camera wherever your heart desires. IMHO, this combo gives
even
> more flexibility than a Benbo.

I own an Benbo Mk1 and can only second Giles and Clydes description.

I for myself was sceptical about the rigidity of the center column/lever
until I took some photos on a bridge from the outside of said bridge.
They turned out tack sharp. Of course I didn´t used a tele lens, but an
fisheye lens, nevertheless this pictures contain very fine detail, shake
would have blured. The pictures were not made with a short exposure time
because light conditions didn´t allowed it, but I used the
mirror/aperture prefire option of the OM-4 and a long cable release.
This pictures could not have been made with another tripod than an
Benbo/Unilock.

I like it to have just one extension of the tripod leg, changing the
height is much easier with it, instead of of three locks per leg I have
only one to open and close.
The Gitzos might be better machined, but the locks on the tripod are not
comfortable to use. To change heigth you have to bow down to the lowest
lock, if you don´t want to sacrifice stability.
There is no problem to position the Benbo on a steep hillside. I
practicaly never use the tripod legs to adjust the Benbo for uneven or
rough ground. I just open the center lock and spread the legs in a way
the tripod is in an even and stable position, much faster than with an
conventional tripod.

Is there something I don´t like with the Benbo? Yes the weigth.

Regards

Richard