Re: Hoods - was: Re: [OM] multicoated lenses???

Subject: Re: Hoods - was: Re: [OM] multicoated lenses???
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 17:40:34 +0100
Clyde Soles wrote:
>Not quite true. There is still a lot of incidental light coming in that
>reduces image contrast slightly?
True, but it becomes quite insignificant when you point the lens towards the
sun, in which case the inside of the hood would have to be very matt not to
cause an unwanted reflection of its own.

Chris Barker wrote:
>?The trouble with the rubber hood for the 50
>(and the one for the 21/3.5) is that the clamp tends to make a mark on the
>lens or filter. So I am careful to keep the surfaces clean to avoid
>scratches in the paint.
It helps to undo the clamp screw a bit more than is absolutely necessary to
free it enough to remove it. I?ve found the clamp occasionally useful to
loosen an overtightened filter
A rubber hood is invaluable to avoid unwanted reflections when shooting
through glass, e.g. an aquarium or shop window displays at night ? not that
there many of these not covered by metal shutters nowadays

Regards,
Keith Berry (Birmingham, England)
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx