Re: [OM] multicoated lenses???

Subject: Re: [OM] multicoated lenses???
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 19:20:12 EDT
Multicoating was a great advance that allowed the design of multiple element
zooms lens. Many zooms have over 10 elements and with each surface causing
some loss of contrast, the accumulated effect would have yielded an unusable
zoom lens. However, with a simple prime lens and smaller apertures, the
necessity of multicoating is much less important. I would venture to state
that with your lens a proper hood is much more important than the use or not
of multicoating.
 As you stated "The[y] seem to work just fine."

<< How important is multicoating for an average hobbiest like myself? I have 3
 zuiko lenes, a 28/3.5, 50/1.8, and 135/3.5, none of which appear to be
 multicoated. They all have only two colors (blue and yellowish) reflected
 in their glass. The seem to work just fine. Should I pursue MC lenses as
 replacements for some of them?
  Be seeing you.
  Dirk Wright >>