[OM] (Fwd) BOUNCE olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Admin request of typ

Subject: [OM] (Fwd) BOUNCE olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Admin request of typ
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 09:13:59 +0000
Sender: chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Camera direct spam exploited a clever loophole (an explanation)
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 31 Aug 1999 08:55:19 +1000

Dear Olympians,
                It seems that (Microsoft's) listbot.com does take some
steps to prevent third-party signups.  It requested confirmation when
I un*subscribed, so I expect it does the same when you (legitimately)
join.

Since the original spam said the owner had "moved the list" it seems
the spammers have exploited a "feature" of listbot.

I'm not defending Microsoft, I loathe the clueless fsckers, in fact.

The spammers probably created their list elsewhere, then took
advantage of an offer from listbot to "move your list to our server".
(So that MSN may insert ads everywhere, of course).  This bulk move
operation allows spammers to build a whole list in one go, without
even having to forge email.

Another ill-considered "feature" from MS which turns out to be an
easily-exploited security nightmare.  Some marketroid probably said
"wouldn't it be great if...", and nobody stopped to think of the
security consequences.

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

cjb.

--
 chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, when he visits the Real World, is Christopher J. Biggs
 Impossible Software Engineering,  Stallion Technologies, Brisbane Australia.