[OM] Re: [Off-List] Camera Direct

Subject: [OM] Re: [Off-List] Camera Direct
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 00:20:40 +0000
At 16:39 8/30/99 , Bob Broder wrote:
> what's the scoop on Camera Direct
>anyone know?

Yep,
Apparently in an effort to drum up business, they got the list of our email
addresses from the Oly mail list and are now barraging us with auction
notices.  There are automated methods of obtaining the addresses *without*
the knowledge of the listserver administrator.  All they had to know was
the list existed.  So *please* do not blame Giles or Shawn!  I have tracked
this junk down and it involves three separate internet domains:

1.  Cameradirect.com (the auction site)
2.  Listbot.com (the remailing site for spewing the auction notices out)
3.  Hotmail.com (a drop box for bounced, returned and "irate" recipient emails)

I have already complained to hotmail.com as it violates their user policy
although they are an unwitting participant and am in the process of
figuring out who exactly to complain to in upstream providers for the
listbot.com and cameradirect.com domains as the direct ISP's *are*
listbot.com and cameradirect.com.

-- John