[OM] (silly?) incident metering question

Subject: [OM] (silly?) incident metering question
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:32:21 -0700 (PDT)
The Acer wrote:

>Since reflected meters assume scene is 18 grey, they have to be
>over-ridden in special cases (a la the 4s shadow and hilite button), yes?
>What about incident? Are they immune to this kind of error?
>Say, I'm in a valley, and there are black shadows under some overhangs and
>sunlit rocks in the general scene. Reflected metering will try to render
>it all 18%, so the lucky 4 user takes a spot off the shadow and hits
>shadow on the body to u/expose by 2.x stops getting proper black shadows.
>(or, the smart non-2S/3/4 users simply does it manually <G>).  What would
>an incident say?
>I hope this theoretical example makes sense and suits the question at
>hand. My track record of late has been less than stellar.
>OM content: I'm beginning to like the 50/1.8MC wide open for low light
>candid portraits (such as when the adorable little sister is about to fall
>asleep :-))

I like children when they are asleep, too. :-)

An incident meter is not really different than a reflected light meter
except that it measures the light inside the little translucent hemisphere
instead of the scene.  It also gives you 18 0ray. The advantage is that
you always find the middle value which is what you frequently want.
Reflected light metering may fool you because of your faulty judgement as
to what is the middle value.  BUT, since the range of light frequently
exceeds the ability of film to record it, as a photographer you have to
decide what goes washed out or black in the photo. So like Ansel A. said
you should previsualize so that you can decide how to expose it.  Sometimes
using both kinds of meters will help you with a particular shot.  Or you
can shoot several bracketed exposures to achieve similar ends. Or you can
use the wonderful OM4T spot meter in manual mode to find the range of light
in a scene and choose an exposure that will give you what you want.

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx