[OM] Of Darkrooms, E6 and scanners, shutter rings, etc.

Subject: [OM] Of Darkrooms, E6 and scanners, shutter rings, etc.
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:27:45 -0500
The floating tray table would definitely be built out of marine plywood
with the W.E.S.T. resin.  I've used this stuff before with canoe
construction and it is wonderful stuff.  When chipped, scratched, cracked
or whatever, it doesn't wick the water through the cloth like polyester
resin does.

My enlarger doesn't have a color head and my primary desire is B&W printing
anyway.  I'll gladly leave the high-tech color printing to a digital or to
somebody who is a ilfachrome expert.  I want my little girls to experience
a B&W darkroom like I did as a toddler.  It changed my whole outlook on life.

In my research, I've noticed the situation with medium format scanners, and
it ain't pretty.  Looks like a Nikon Coolscan 2000 or III will be in order
for now.  Of course, it would mean that my OMs would get a new lease on
life for awhile.

On the subject of shutter-speed rings.  I've always thought that everybody
else had it backwards and Olympus had it correct.  The OMs handle more like
a Hassy or even a Lieca than any other 35mm SLR.  The ergonomics of the OM
body are far superior to most any camera today.  What other camera can you
operate every control blind-folded and know the settings?  The shutter
speed ring on the OM-1 and OM-2 is wonderful.  However, on the OM-2S and
OM-4Ti, it is a bit narrower which makes it slightly more difficult to use.

I've come to a point with my cameras that I don't like fighting a camera.
I'm constantly fighting the Mamiya Super-23 with it's backwards
rangefinder.  If it wasn't for the 6x7 format, I wouldn't bother having it.
 Unfortunately, as a professional I must have the formats the customers
desire--even if I don't use them.  Same thing with the Canon A2.  I fought
that camera constantly as it never focused on what I wanted it to focus on
and I couldn't visualize as well without DOF preview (I did change the
custom-function setting to get DOF preview, but it just didn't look like
how it was supposed to).  As computers get even more WYSIWYG cameras get
even less so.

For those wondering what "Image 66" is:  It's a take off on "Route 66".
Also, it is the year I was born.  My logo is a Route 66 sign with Image
replacing Route.

Oh, and Denton--  A Range Rover might be a status symbol in NYC, but here
in the jungles of Iowa it is just plain ugly.  Besides, there isn't a
dealer nearby to constantly keep up with the wiring problems.  Around these
parts the dealers are alotted one Land-Cruiser a month (if they are lucky)
and they are usually sold before they ever hit the lot.  Used ones?  HA!
The LEXUS version is a dime a dozen with a huge number available on the
used market.  The key distinction between the two is that the Lexus is
leased with the intention of getting rid of in 2 years, wheras the
Land-Cruisers are purchased and owned for at least 8-10 years.

Ken Norton