Re: [OM] Fw: I was told the SunPak will sync at all speeds , is it true?

Subject: Re: [OM] Fw: I was told the SunPak will sync at all speeds , is it true? -Reply
From: Scott Nelson <SNelson@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 18:16:27 -0400
This is generally true but not so for the F-280 in Super FP mode. This flash
syncs at the normal Oly body speed of 1/60 sec in normal TTL mode. In Super FP
it delivers a series of short flashes lasting about 1/25 sec. In essence, this
is a digital simulation of the old long duration FP bulbs. The series of flashes
"sync" with the shutter insuring that some flash exposes the film throughout the
exposure even at high speeds. But the amount drops rapidly at high shutter
speeds and therefore it's really only good for fill flash, but VERY good at it!
Some people have memorized the table of effective GN's for this flash so they
can select an appropriate aperature to give good fill at any speed. Anyway, only
this flash works this way on OM's and only the 3TI, 4TI, and OM-707 which have
the extra two contacts to control it.

The Shipman book has a good description of the F-280 operation or see:

http://www.veluwen.demon.nl/om-sif/flashphotogroup/f280.htm

and

http://www.astro.wellesley.edu/lhawkins/photo/olympus.faq.html

>>> Bob Sull <w8imo@xxxxxxxxxxx> 08/24/99 01:01pm >>>

I am under the impression that the body and not the flash determines the
sync speed, even with dedicated flash units.....

Bob