[OM] Kestrel lucky

Subject: [OM] Kestrel lucky
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 00:50:58 +0000

Last Thursday or Friday I was up in Connemara, same place I found those
mystery photos and have close encounters of the bat kind.  Anyway, I was all
set up
for taking a shot of some gorse and heather which is now in flower.  I had the
tripod set up and was using a 180mm when some high cloud drifted over and
spoiled
the light so I was waiting, waiting for it to blow over when a kestrel comes
along
and hovers just 40-50' above my position!  Quick - undo the ball tilt her up,
whoops
its moved - there it is just over a bit - focus - click.

I thought I should have over exposed one or two stops as it was silhouetted
against
the blue sky but by the time I got around to figuring that out and doing
something
about it the Kestrel had moved away on patrol for things to eat.  It then went
down
below a bush a couple of hundred metres away.  after a few minutes of keeping
an eye
on the spot and hurriedly whacking the 1.4x TC on, along comes another, however
it
never came close enough for any sort  of shot.

The shot I did get won't be anything to write home about, there were a couple of
power lines in frame, probably be a  blurred mess, just a silhouette but there
should
be something on the film.

What amazes me most is that for once I was actually reasonably well equipped to
take
advantage of an opportunity, I couldn't believe it!

You should hear about the recent encounter between an Osprey and  Ulf
Westerberg,
his wife and Robert Ashdown in Queensland Australia - Ha ha - but that would be
telling  ;-)

Giles