[OM] Photo Techniques. was: Great Galloping Zweekos

Subject: [OM] Photo Techniques. was: Great Galloping Zweekos
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 00:05:36 -0700
Zuiks;

My Sep/Oct issue just arrived. I poured thru it for the promised article
on
Zuiks.  After I reread Mike's msg copied below, I realized why I was
disappointed.  It's
not till next issue. :>(

I haven't read the whole mag yet but I did see 3 items of interest.

First is an article all the way at the back of the magazine. It attempts
to compare the 'essence' the 'je ne c'est quois' the 'philosophy', yea,
the 'Gestalt' of
two types of photography and photographers:  35mm shooters and 4x5
photographers.  The article, by Michael Johnston, makes some interesting
points to ponder. For example, and paraphrasing:  large format
photography is really about
printing.  IOW rare is the large format user who doesn't also have a
darkroom and agonize over getting the 'perfect interpretive print' from
his original.  Whereas 35mm folks are not so concerned about artistic
interpretation, but rather they're about presenting the reality of the
world to the viewer.
Any thoughts?

Second was a letter to editor by Michael Covington re the article naming
OM system as 'Best kept secret.'  Dr Covington says it ain't so, for the
4Ti anyway, cause it hasn't enuf eye relief for him. He sold his 4 and
longs for Oly to bring back the OM-1.  Not too bad an idea.  But it'd
probably cost $700 new. Think he'd buy one?  He says he still has 5 OM
bodies and 20 lenses.

Last was an e-mail letter from our own Denton Taylor.  He praises the
yearly '25 best camera' article and identifies himself as an
'unapologetic gearhead'.  Surprised?  Anyone else identify with this?

George