RE: [OM] Re: Eclips (long)

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: Eclips (long)
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 10:07:49 +0200
Hi,

> For the next 20 minutes the spectacle was visible for most of the time bot
> at about 11:40 more and more clouds covered the sky. at about noon it
> started to rain too and just before totlity set in the was thunder.

Bad luck there too, eh? I already heard that on the telly...:(

> It slowly became darker and darker, but it was not obvious that this
> was caused by the eclips in stead of the clouds.

In Luxemburg this also happened, so it's very likely it was due to the
eclipse. Especially in the last 10 minutes before totality this was very
noticeable.

> But then at 12:30 suddenly someone turned the dimmer and it became allmost
> as dark as in a clear full-moon night.

Yes, that was the coolest moment in Luxemburg too.

> At that time the clouds turned into some strange orange looking colours
> and after what seemend like less tha a minite the light was suddenly
turned
> on again.

Did you manage to get some pics of the surroundings? I had brought my OM-40
for the surroundings, but no cool light effects were visible, it just went
dark where I was.

> Austria? wasn't that where I wanted to go in the first place? well
> better luck next time.

Exactly, the weather is the one and only thing we can't influence; oh well,
we'll get another chance someday.

> I hope my story will lessen Olaf;'s dissapointment because he now knows he
> is not the only one who did not see the spectacular things one is supposed
> to see

Well, I'm not the kind of person who takes comfort out of other people's bad
luck. For me it was a pity that we didn't get to see the eclips as I had
planned, but it's not the end of the world either (so Nostradamus was wrong
after all ;) ), the thing which bugged me far more were the other mentioned
"issues", but fortunately that situation is a lot better now. As far as the
eclips goes, we'll see when we can get another shot at it, I don't think
I'll be going to South Africa in two years time though, but who knows...

Alright, yesterday I brought the roll of film with the few pics I did take
to the store, so in a few days from now I'll know if it came out at all.

Cheers!
Olafo