[OM] NPC Polaroid Backs for Olympus?

Subject: [OM] NPC Polaroid Backs for Olympus?
From: flzhgn <flzhgn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 22:23:54 -0700
Dear Jonathan,

You might not like those polaroid backs that fit on OM cameras
(NPC makes them for most brands of 35 mm) because the image
size on the polaroid is no bigger than it is on 35mm film.

I've only seen one professional photographer use one and he had it
on an OM1 or OM1n and used the mirror lock up feature.  It was
used to check lighting  before and after shots with a medium format
camera.  The film speed in the medium format camera was different
from the polaroid film so he was making some calculations using a
light meter.

Polaroid makes a 35mm format instant slide film, and I've used it on
an Olympus microscope.  The results were not as good as with Kodachrome 40,
Ilford XP1, TechPan or even Ektachrome 160T !

My feeling about the NPC backs is that they are an extra step that would not
tell me anything more than shooting and developing a short roll of black and
white
film.  On the other hand if one is shooting more expensive medium or large
format films then the NPC back on an OM camera body makes more sense.

-- Hank Hogan