[OM] FS part 2

Subject: [OM] FS part 2
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 11:00:59 -0700
Zuiks;

Here is a quick update on sale items. Basically, the 24/2.8, 100-200/5,
10 meter remote cord for MDs and all the odds and ends are still
available.  If anyone wants to combine a couple of things, I'll adjust
price a bit. I'll put them on eBay this weekend if no interest here.

And, I've added the following:

FILTERS: I've decided, against the advice of some, to go filterless, at
least as far as 'protective' filters go. I know I may regret this cause
in truth, filters have saved 3 of my lenses over the past 15 years. But,
about 750f the time, I take the filter off when I use the lens anyway.
So, I've got probably 15 or so filters, mostly 1As, mostly like new, in
various sizes that I'll sell for 700f new B&H price or less, depending
on condition, + a couple bucks for shipping.  If interested, e-mail
off-list what you want and I'll see if I've got it.  BTW, I have some
big sizes too, not just 49 and 55.

Also, if anyone's interested, a brief story about the Vivitar 2X for
Mamiya 645 below, which is no longer for sale: I've had this for 2 years
and didn't use it much, so figured I should sell it.  As I was looking
over all the items with a bright light so I could describe them
accurately, I noticed the problem described below with the glass.
Yesterday I went back to where I bought it used (Keeble and Shuchart in
Palo Alto).  I did not expect, nor was I going to ask for my money back
(though, I figured if they felt really bad and offered, I'd accept.
Yeah, right, they didn't.)  Anyway, the problem was almost impossible to
see inside the store, where the ceilings are quite high, maybe 14 ft or
more, and so the flourescent light is not very bright at eye level. That
made me feel a little better at not having noticed the problem when I
bought the lens.  Although there's really no way to be sure it didn't
happen since I've had it.  Anyway, after the salesman finally noticed
it, he had as little idea as I as to what it was, so I went across the
street to their repair dept.  2 guys looked at it there and they could
only hazard a guess that it could be element separation and that it
would be $75 just to take a look-see.

So I brought it home and suddenly remembered what someone on the list
had done with a useless teleconverter - namely - made an extension tube
out of it. And, voila that's what I did. The glass came out as a unit
just by unscrewing it. Couldn't believe how easy it was.  So, now I can
try some macro work with my 2 645 lenses, one of which is a soft-focus
lens and I'm interested to see what I can do with soft-focus flower
macros.

As for the glass, I pulled out the front element and, sure enuf, it
consists of 2 pieces of glass joined together and so element separation
theory looks good.  I'm going to contact Vivitar to see how much it
would cost to replace this.  Then I would have a 2X which converts
easily to an extension tube!

I guess one lesson I learned is that when buying used, be sure to
inspect the lens with a bright light or outside, not just with available
light.

George

PS- I will be selling more lenses soon as I figure out which ones.

***********************************
Olympus/Zuiko clearance sale - Part 2

 "Cause I still need the bucks"

(1) H.Zuiko 24/2.8 Condition: Glass 9+, body 8 $150.00
Yes, it's single coated, but the glass is like new.
This lens is very sharp. I've printed 16x20s from it that look great.
The body shows wear on aper ring and flange, but not too bad.
There is a very very small amount of play at the flange.

(2) S.Zuiko 100-200/5 Condition: Glass 10- Body 9+ $150
This is a beautiful MC example of this lens. Practically no wear at all
on the body and the glass is pristine.  The lighthouse photo on my
gallery site was taken with this lens at hyperfocus and the 16x20
prints look great and have become best sellers. The lens has very good
contrast and seems a lot better to me than Gary's tests would lead one
to expect. The lens does have a bit of zoom creep, from ~170 to 200.

(3) MC Zuiko 50/1.4  Condition: Glass 9, body 9- $60            ON HOLD
This lens shows just a bit of wear on the aperture ring and there's a
SSN
carved just above the ring. Other than that ... body is great. Glass is
great also except for 1 tiny piece of something inside near rear element
and one tiny speck between elements 1 and 2 I think.

(4) S.Zuiko 35-70/3.5-4.8 Condition: Brand New. $75             SOLD
Anybody want this before I get $100 or so for it on eBay?

(5) Olympus 10 meter Relay cord for motor drives. 9+ in box w/inst. $75

Other stuff:

(6) Bogen 3055 ball head w/quick release. Condition: 9. $25.00

(7) Slik 450G small but sturdy tripod. $15
Gets only about 30" high. One leg section is missing the rubber foot.

(8) Hanimex "Computer Bounce Flash" w/instructions. Works fine. GN=30
$25
I think I have a color filter set for this too.

(9) Case for OM-10 New in box. $10

For Mamiya 645: (Just in case)                          NOT FOR SALE
(10) Vivitar 2X Auto Teleconverter Condition Glass 9-, Body 9+ $150
I thought the glass was 10, but on final inspection, I see a strange
thing. Looks to be on the back of the first or front of the 2nd element.
There's an area in the center that's clearer than the glass further out.
But it's not fungus, rather it looks like the coating has worn off the
center. I've used this lens a lot and never noticed that. Don't recall
any affect on photos. I lowered the price because of this.