Re: [OM] Carl Zeiss lenses?

Subject: Re: [OM] Carl Zeiss lenses?
From: Richard Ross <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 19:33:22 +0100
John H wrote:
>The lens cap (metal) said Carl Zeiss / Jena and seemed nicely made.  It was
>a 35-135 and cost her around $160 (several years ago).  I  was not able to
>check the name ring for country of origin.

A trawl of the archives produced a 1984 issue of Amateur Photographer with
a full page advert for "Zeiss Jenazoom Lenses".  Quote "Today Zeiss have
introduced a range of lenses which they have had maufactured to their
specifications in Japan, which incorporates the very finest traditions, the
total experience, of over 100 years continuous lens production.  Designed
to complement virtually every SLR camera manufactured - available for
Praktica, Canon, Olympus, Nikon ..." etc.  It draws comparisons with the
world famous "Tessar" of the 1900s.

The sole UK distributors were Carl Zeiss Jena Ltd, the UK arm of the East
German Zeiss company.  The ad features a "75-300mm f4.5-5.6 MC Macro
Jenazoom", with 13 elements in 10 groups, a filter size of 58mm and
weighing 690g.  It doesn't mention any others specifically.

A dealer ad in the same issue lists the following (prices in UKP)
28mm f2.8   43.95
35-70 f3.5    69.95
35-135 f3.5  139.95
70-210 f4.5   94.95

As a comparison, the same ad lists a Sigma Synchro-II 35-135 f3.5 at the
same priceas its Zeiss equivalent.  This may or may not be an indication of
quality and/or origin :-)

Cheers
Richard

Richard Ross