[OM] OT Blackbirds were boring (probably)

Subject: [OM] OT Blackbirds were boring (probably)
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 13:18:17 -0700
From: Chris Barker <cmib@xxxxxxxxxxx>

...  I'll bet that the average Blackbird pilot was bored
f**tless as we say in England...

I expect the SR-71 kept pilots relatively busy, although not as much as fighter jocks. I think it carried only a couple hours of fuel, so at least a couple times during a mission you had to lower gear, drop down to 30,000 feet or so, and try not to overrun a tanker!

The King of boring was the U-2. It carried plenty of fuel to keep it up for eight hours or more. The ones I worked on were little more than flying radio antennas -- all the listening was performed/controlled on the ground. The pilots referred to their missions as "orbits." Although they weren't supposed to do anything but fly^H^H^Hwatch their autopilot, I regularly saw pilots get in with paperback novels in their pockets.

It was hard keeping U-2 pilots, because the airlines recruited them heavily, unlike fighter jocks, who the airlines didn't appreciate for some reason. (Excess testosterone, adrenaline, and 747's don't mix! :-)

Although satellites have largely done away with manned spy aircraft, the U-2 is enjoying a new life (and a new name, the TR-1) as an environmental sampling station. NASA has a bunch of them, painted white and blue. They use the same gear they used while flying in the cloud of Chinese atom bomb blasts to sniff radioisotopes, except now they're sniffing for ozone, volatile hydrocarbons, flourocarbons, etc.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229