Re: leaking planes Re: [really OT] (was: Re: [OM] OM] OT - Titanium)

Subject: Re: leaking planes Re: [really OT] (was: Re: [OM] OM] OT - Titanium)
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 10:30:12 EDT
In a message dated 8/9/99 7:56:48 AM EST, gwsears@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

(Ref: SR-71)
>  It seems that they were
>  replaced by satellites.

    I think they brought a couple back after retirement. (and on it's
retirement flight from California to Virginia it set a speed record! Sort of
a "screw you!" to the generals that retired an "obsolete" aircraft!  Very
embarrassing to the Pentagon). You can't cover every inch of the world yet
with spy satellites. 20 years ago I think the cost figure was $150,000 per
hour of flight time. (which is why the cost-cutters retired them). You needed
to manufacture, store, and load the special fuel onto a tanker specially for
the flight.  A lot of man-hours for each flight, too.

George S.