Re: [OM] Re: OM4ti, Leica, and *HEXAR*

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OM4ti, Leica, and *HEXAR*
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 20:13:55 -0400
At 02:25 PM 8/8/99 -0400, you wrote:

>>Denton Taylor wrote:
>
>>As a camera that must be kept quiet and the photographer unobstrusive,
>>such as in street or documentary work, the M is unsurpassed.
>

>Well, I would argue that it has been surpassed, by the original black
>model of the Konica Hexar (the one with the silent feature, which was
>removed from subsequent iterations).  This camera is quieter than a Leica
>M, or a Rolleiflex TLR (and I shoot with a Rollei daily).  And the
>autofocus -- much as I generally disapprove of auto-anything -- makes
>shots from the hip that much easier.

Yes I also owned this exact camera! But from-the-hip shots do not work well
with autofocus. Too hard to get the little thingy in the center on the subject,
too easy to get it somewhere else. And some of the controls are too hard to
operate. As good as the lens is, and it _is_ good, it is not interchangeable.
One thing I did like about the Hexar is that it absolutely, positively a great
camera to take when you do not want to be seen as having an expensive camera.
My wife took it to Colombia for three weeks, no problems.

There're a lot of rumors about a new Hexar that will take Leitz and other
interchangeable lenses. Wouldn't that be interesting?

Regards,
Denton Taylor

Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com.
Panoramas and Immersive Imaging at