[OM] Close up photos with the 50/3.5 + 4Ti + F280 + ext tubes

Subject: [OM] Close up photos with the 50/3.5 + 4Ti + F280 + ext tubes
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 17:22:59 +0200
Hi,

I was wondering about the following:
Since I've just acquired the 50/3.5 Macro lens, it is conceivable that I'm
going to try the 4Ti + 50/3.5 + F280 (+ optionally auto ext. tubes - the
sizes I have are: 13mm, 21mm, 31mm) combo for some macro work anytime soon.

I realise that the F280 is not the best flash to use for macro shots, but it
should still be able to help out (even if that incurs some limitations).

Now I'm left a bit with the following questions:
1-Is there any easy way of recalculating the TTL OTF (Normal Auto) mode and
Super FP mode tables in such a way that a specific amount of extension is
taken into account? In other words, does anyone know the correlation between
the amount of milimeters added in extension and the loss of light (in
stops)? If this correlation is known, it should be possible to recalculate
these tables rather than creating them by means of test shots. This
information would be handy for determining the minimum working distance
between the F280 and the subject.
2-Is there a way to check if the F280 actually flashes _on_ the subject, or
if it flashes _over_ it? Maybe it suffices to know the angle at which the
F280 outputs the light, if so, can anyone provide me with this angle (I'll
check the manual tonight, it might be in there)?
3-In case the above two points can't really be answered, has anyone
experimented with this set-up and made some custom tables (both for Super FP
and for Normal Auto, or even for Manual)?
4-Anything else I need to think of, and which I haven't mentioned above?
Particular pitfalls?

A part of the Normal Auto mode table for the F280 shows the following:
F8      0.5~3.5m
F11     0.36~2.5m
F16     0.25~1.8m
F22     0.18~1.3m

So the minimum working distances for these diafragm settings fall pretty
well within the 50/3.5's macro range. Now, at maximum extension of the
50/3.5 I think the light loss (when compared to no extension) is 1 stop, so
in that case I would expect the values in this table to be shifted one stop
(F8 -> F11), right?
It seems that the F8 - F22 range should then allow for proper lighting when
getting really close, if and only if the flash doesn't fire over the
subject. It would be coolest if it would be possible to shoot at F8 or F11
with all amounts of extension, as Gary's tests show that those are the
50/3.5's optimum apertures...

Any thoughts on this???

Chao,
Olafo