[OM] Sad state

Subject: [OM] Sad state
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 00:16:30 +0200
Hello all

While just browsing in a shopping mall today in Malmo, I caught a glimpse of
a Minolta Weathermatic camera.
To make a long story short, the sales woman handed me over a brochure of
Minoltas all camera systems. Included are of course the AF-system (remember
Minolta WAS first here) and Vectis ASP-systems BUT also the old MD-systems
X700 and X370, manual cameras as old or older than any OM-camera.

The top-of-the-line X700 and it's corresponding MD-system, though nice in
itself is and never has been nearly as complete as the OM-system. Neither
has the quality, feel, or whatever you may call it, never been even close to
the OM-system.
Yet it is promoted, albeit in a subtle way, but nevertheless.

Then, on to the Olympus brochure, first the IS3000 (by todays standard an
old construction), then the other IS10, IS200 etc cameras, then the
point-and-shoots. Not one word about the OM-system! Not one single word. Why
oh why couldn't at least half a page been devoted the the OM-line?
Especially now there is a cheap, good SLR available (OM2000) . But that's
not imported at all here in Sweden. Are Olympus Sweden afraid that anyone
actually might BUY their cameras?

Sorry for writing this, but here in Olympus seems to be the only company not
wanting to sell their own products, at least here in Sweden.

Ulf Westerberg
Nature- and Travel Photography at www.start.at/westerberg