RE: [OM] 135 macro + 1.4x TC

Subject: RE: [OM] 135 macro + 1.4x TC
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 23:57:41 +0200
Hi,

> In theory it should be OK as both the 135 macro & 1.4x TC are
> good performers.

In themselves they are...

> Has anyone else tried this combo?  If so, any opinion regarding image
> quality?

Typically when using TCs one has to stop the aperture down one or two stops
to get good quality pictures. I don't have either of the above two items so
I haven't tried this particular combo, but keep in mind that you go from a
135/4.5 to an effective 189/6.3, then consider the stopping down of the
aperture and you'll quickly find yourself shooting at an effective f8 or
f11. This may not be an issue, but keep in mind that it's a pretty slow
combination. Ah yes, when you start adding extension tubes you will lose
even more light.

On the other hand, I have used the 300/4.5 + 2xA to go to an effective
600/9. When there's enough light this works fine, but I do recommend using a
2 series focusing screen, otherwise your viewfinder will get too dark...

Just some considerations....

Cheers!
Olafo