RE: [OM] help needed

Subject: RE: [OM] help needed
From: "Riek,Chris" <criek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 08:25:37 -0400
I had a similar problem with my OM-4T. I was using the F280 with
the TTL-f cord and I wouldn't get the flash-ready light or exposure
light. However when I would use the flash directly on the camera,
I'd have no problems. I wrote in and got some good answers. It
seems that the lips on the edge of the hot shoe on the OM-4T
(and possibly the OM-3T?) are TALLER than those on other OM's.
This means that when you screw down the ring on your flash/cord,
it actually LIFTS slightly as it tightens. Since the lips are TALLER,
all of the pins may not make correct contact, especially the shorter
pins (i.e., flash ready light). What I did to test this was to attach the
cord to the camera and the flash (ready light on) and UNSCREW
the screw on the hot shoe of the cord. Then while pressing the cord
DOWN onto the hot shoe, the lights worked fine for me. I was told
two possible fixes for this: 1) bend the lips of the hot shoe down
(ouch) or 2) put some brass shims on the UPPER side of the cord's
flange where it attaches to the hot shoe. (better) It is a bit hard to
explain, but makes sense when you look at it. I opted for the brass
shims because I'd rather screw up a $50 cord than a $500 camera.
I've gotten the brass shims, but I have to admit that I haven't gotten
around to attaching them yet. I hope this helps.

-Chris

        .
        .
        .