[OM] Mandler 50mm f/2 Summicron-M tested

Subject: [OM] Mandler 50mm f/2 Summicron-M tested
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 04:59:36 EDT
Casey's Camera in Las Vegas was gracious enough to lens me the 1978 Walter
Mandler designed 50mm f/2 Summicron-M and a Leica M-2.  I lens tested it,
along with the lowly Canon FD 50mm f/1.8 and the Canon FD-35-70mm f/3.5~4.5.
I'll have the results up as soon as I find the time to develop and evaluate
them.

It's been years since I shot with a classic rangefinder camera.  Focusing of
fine details with the low magnification M-2 finder is darn hard.  Really
makes me appreciate an SLR, esp. focusing with the Varimagnifinder on an OM
body.  OTOH, the smoothness of the helical focusing on the Summicron is
remarkable.  But it sure is tiny, even by OM standards.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV