Re: [OM] Mirror Shake (was New lens tests posted)

Subject: Re: [OM] Mirror Shake (was New lens tests posted)
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 02:43:36 EDT
Mike H. writes:

<< I suppose it disproves the conventional wisdom that mirror shake has no
effect on sharpness. >>

I wasn't aware of such conventional wisdom.  I seems the opposite.

But vibrations from the mirror ISN'T even a factor in these lens test.  ALL
tests (well, OK, except for one Vivitar Series 1 test) were done with mirror
lock-up, be it the OM-1, OM-4, or OM-2000.  Instead, by using the self timer,
we have as variables the vibrations from the shutter and the automatic
diaphram mechanism (OM-1), or just the shutter itself (OM-4 and OM-2000).

Looked at another way, here are what the leading models can offer towards
features that can be used to reduce vibrations:
OM-1: mirror lock-up only
OM-2, OM-3(Ti): nothing!
OM-2000, OM-2S, OM-4(T)(i): mirror lock-up and aperture stopdown (via the
self-timer)
OM-2000: shorter shutter travel (vertical)

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV