Re: [OM] OT: Alert to Outlook/Outlook Express/Communicator Users

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Alert to Outlook/Outlook Express/Communicator Users
From: Dylan Sutton <dsut4392@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 12:18:44 +0000
The html posting problem is not unique to MS products or even Windows
(shudder) users. Netscape Communicator 4.5 and above sends email as html
by default even on the Mac, though at least you get a warning that the
recipient may not like this. Instead of using fancy workarounds in your
address book to specify certain users as receiving text-only, I would
send all mail to all recipients as plain text. This is easily done by
setting the preferences (edit>>preferences>>mail and
newsgroups>>formatting) to use the plain text editor to compose
messages, and convert all html messages to text before sending. Content
is more important than format!
A probably unrelated problem is that digest #1059 somehow swallowed
(digested too?) some private mail of mine. I was most disconcerted to
find a whole ream of bad jokes at the bottom of the OM digest, and even
more curious to find they were addressed to me! The line:
End of olympus-digest V2 #1059
appears before the private message (containing full headers), and then
after the message comes:
>From owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Sun Jul 25 14:25 EST 1999
I have no idea how this came about, but it isn't a Netscape problem as
that is how the message looks on the server when reading by telnet...
Dylan