RE: [OM] Mail order film/processing - best sources?

Subject: RE: [OM] Mail order film/processing - best sources?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 18:02:05 +0000
At 19:26 7/23/99 , Jerry Stackhouse wrote:
>[] Would you send Kodachrome 25 & 64 or Kodacolor to Fuji or to Kodak?

Jerry,
Regarding Kodachrome, there are not many labs that handle K-14.  Likely it
will end up with Qualex or Kodalux regardless who you hand it to.

Regarding Kodalux mailers:
I am currently having a devil of a time with Kodalux.  After sending a
mailer with a 120 size roll of E100VS (pro version of Elitechrome 100 Extra
Color) to the Dallas address and not seeing anything for two weeks, I
called Kodalux.

This is the response I got from them over the phone:
1.  Mailers are no longer handled in Dallas, TX.  It is *all* handled in
Fairlawn, NJ (film size or type doesn't matter).
2.  They couldn't find any record of my film, but stated it was probably in
transit to the Fairlawn lab.
3.  When asked why they put a Texas address on the mailer if it all goes to
New Jersey anyway, there was essentially an "I don't know" response.
4.  When asked why, if the U.S. mail generally takes 3 days to get to
Dallas, and even if they mailed it to New Jersey from there it should have
been in New Jersey over a week, there was essentially an "I can't explain
that" response.
5.  When asked if they kept professional films refrigerated during all this
incredible handling time prior to processing, the response was "I don't
know how it's handled."
6.  When asked why I should bother refrigerating professional film if they
are not going to develop it within a reasonable time and subject it to "who
knows what" in handling, the response was essentially "I can't explain that."

In short, there is not much Kodalux can explain to me except they have no
record of my film.  I don't know if I'm going to call Kodalux again.
However, since they are a subsidiary of Kodak, my next call will likely be
to Kodak to ask why their subsidiary, Kodalux, cannot tell me anything
about my film and why the people who answer their Inqury Hot-Line know
nothing about photography and very, very little about film handling and
processing.

I bought two PK-12 Kodalux mailers a month ago, have only used one (with
the above resulting) and they will likely be my last!  At the least, if you
use one, use *only* the Fairlawn, New Jersey address, say prayers, and keep
your fingers crossed you will ultimately see your film again.

-- John
(peeved with Kodalux)