Re: [OM] most durable camera discussion, incl OM-1, from Leica f

Subject: Re: [OM] most durable camera discussion, incl OM-1, from Leica f
From: "george" <geanders@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 14:12:10 -0700

I used to have a Nikon FG which had metal look top and bottom plates which
were
plastic.  This camera was rendered slightly inoperable when it was dropped
onto a
road from a metre or so (not by me) and the main circuit was crushed such
that one
of the bonded ICs was cracked right across.  The funny thing was the top
cover
recovered most of it's shape and did not look too bad.

On another occasion the camera slipped out of its case and fell about 30cm
onto a
gravel surface, not far IMO, landing on a corner of the base plate.  The
base plate
hardly looked damaged at all - just a slight ding due to boing factor - but
the
camera electronics went severely intermittent.

My next camera was a 4Ti, partly chosen because of the titanium top and
bottom
covers.

I am glad I have not dropped it yet to find out whether the Ti bits will do
the job
I expect but someone recently mentioned one surviving being dropped onto a
road
from a moving truck.

Giles

Well, Giles, I did your research for you :>)

My 1988 model 4T has hit the ground twice : >(  The first time, no problem
at all.  The 2nd time the rewind shaft got bent.  Never any electrical
problems.

George