RE: [OM] Church photos from Yorkshire

Subject: RE: [OM] Church photos from Yorkshire
From: JohnGardner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 14:55:01 +0100
> John Hudson wrote:
>
> > Gregg Iverson wrote:
>
> > >Thanks for the explanation, Richard.  Now, how do we line up our
> > >buildings perfectly without drawing diagonal lines on our viewfinders?
> >
> > ......... if in a church do what I did; rest the side of the camera on a
> > stack of prayer books, hold your breath, say a prayer that you are an
> > upright citizen, and hope that the vicar doesn't catch you ..especially
> if
> > s/he is averse to photographers!

      Richard then suggested:
        > Good sugestion and might be the reason why John Gardners photo is
not
        > perfectly aligned. Church benches are normaly to the left and
right, but
        > not in the center of the church.

        > Instead of prayer books one might use a small "desktop" tripod,
like the
        > Leica one, the Minolta TR1, the Manfroto 209/210, Hakuba or
Cullman
        > Magic. Very small light weight, I carry one, all the time in the
photo
        > bag.
        > A bean bag might be usefull too, but it´s more dificult to align
the
        > camera with it.

        Now that you've all finished pulling my photo to pieces ;¬) I can
reveal that it was taken using a tripod (a large Benbo jobby) as you can use
tripods if you stump up two quid for a 'photographic permit' i.e. a sticker
for your lapel.

        The only reason it might not be truely vertical is that I must just
be standing slightly off centre in the knave as I am sure I levelled the
tripod head up before shifting the lens. Bear in mind this was my first
outing with the 35mm shift and I must have been overcome with excitement,
hence my mistakes in setting up the picture.

        If anyone's interested BTW, I am selling the 35mm shift in order to
raise funds to cover  a very expensive purchase on (ahem,blush, blush) ....
a N*kk*r 500mm f/4 AF-S lens.

        Contact me off list if interested

        John.

 07/21/99 14:55:16
Part of the Halifax Group, Halifax Group plc, Registered in England No.
2367076.  Registered Office: Trinity Road, Halifax, West Yorkshire HX1 2RG.
Represents only the Halifax Financial Services Marketing Group for the purposes
of advising on and selling life assurance, pensions and unit trust business.
The Marketing Group is regulated by the Personal Investment Authority.
Switchboard 01422 333333.

ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ