Re: [OM] Re: Cambridge

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Cambridge
From: "george" <geanders@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 17:57:53 -0700
Mickey;

About 12 years ago, I called them to order a Tokina 500/8 mirror they
advertised at a great price - much below anyone else.

"Unfortunately", said the salesman, "we're out of stock on the Tokina. But
we have the Cambron - and it's a better lens for the same price."

"Well, when will you be getting more Tokinas?" I said.

"Oh, I don't know, probably 6 weeks or more."

"Sh_t, I thought naively to myself, my 8 day river trip in Idaho is in a
month, and I want to photo the big horn sheep etc that I'm going to see."
So I said the fateful words "OK, send me the Cambron."

And they did. And it sucked.  Contrast? Fugget-about-it. Sharp? Like Dan
Quayle (or Al Gore).  Crisp? Like cereal after an hour in milk.  Where is it
now? Sold it at a garage sale for $10. And felt guilty about it.

The fact that you did what I didn't and stuck with the name brand lens (if
you can call Samyang a name brand :>) :>) - BTW, I guess they weren't "out
of stock on the Samyang"?) may yet save you.  If the lens got good reviews -
hey, it'll be better than a Cambron for sure.

And perhaps you'll get lucky and they'll actually send it to you. Let us
know, eh?

George