Re: [OM] 24mm "sliver" [was Re: Denatured Alcohol and Mirrors]

Subject: Re: [OM] 24mm "sliver" [was Re: Denatured Alcohol and Mirrors]
From: Doug Cooper <visigoth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 12:38:33 -0400 (EDT)

Well, the plot thickens.  Or thins, depending upon how you look at it.
The sliver is mysteriously *gone*!  Which leads me to believe that it is
indeed a wandering piece of internal lens gunk, trying to find its way
back to Ithaca...

As for the mirror, I got most of the purple haze<tm Hendrix> off, using
Optyl-7, and then distilled water (ie. my breath).

I used Q-tips, because I have a general distasted for lens paper, which
just feels abrasive to me (however irrational that feeling might be).

Now that you guys have been so helpful, I thought I should introduce
myself.  I'm mostly a writer -- novelist and travel writer -- but I've
done my own travel photography for the past decade.  Recently the
photographic side of my career has become more serious:  I've been signed
by the Bruce Coleman stock agency here in Manhattan, and Photo District
News will be doing a feature about my travel work in the September issue.
I'm hoping to make photography pay the rent, so I can concentrate on
writing obscure novels that sell only six copies each.

My work appears primarily in New York Magazine -- I've done virtually all
of their travel writing and photography for the last four years -- but I
just published my first photo in the New York Times (taken with the Zuiko
24/2.8, on an Olympus OM4T!), and finished writing a piece for Conde Nast
Traveler, which will appear in the September issue (with none of my own
photos, alas).

As for my Olympus affiliation:  the OM-1 was my first camera, back when it
was Consumer Reports' top-rated beast.  I've been through a number of
different makes since, and recently have done most of my work with a
Rolleiflex TLR from the fifties and a Konica Hexar.  I picked up the OM4T
because I missed having a wide-angle, and I've fallen back in love with
the OM system:  I now have the 50/3.5, the 200/4; and the 100/2.8 is on
order.  Sold my N*k*n.

Good to be here.  You guys are seriously helpful.

Cheers,

Douglas Cooper