RE: [OM] OM4 Ti

Subject: RE: [OM] OM4 Ti
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 15:35:59 +0200
Hi,

> 1. I am considering buying a used black OM4 Ti body.

Good choice, very good choice. Provided the camera is optically and
mechanically in perfect working order, you will not regret it.

> Mechanically it seems sound but cosmetically it has suffered
> brassing especially on the pentaprism, the top and the bottom
> plates.

Yes, the infamous "titanium look", all the Oly titanium cameras suffer from
this problem, my 4Ti also has extensive brassing, and I'm VERY careful with
it. For someone who is a perfectionist like me it is slightly irritating to
see such a nice camera in a not perfect cosmetic shape. Nevertheless, for me
the primary use of the camera is to take pictures, and not to look at it or
to show it off, so I'm (for the time being) not bothered too much about the
missing paint. When I bought mine I also considered redoing the paint on it,
but it seems to be quite difficult to find a kind of paint that sticks
really well to titanium. Having said that, I wonder how much brassing occurs
on the Nikon F5, anyone who knows this?

> My first question is this: is there any way to touch up
> this brassing to make the paintwork look like new

I have read some previous posts about people first removing all the paint of
the camera, and then repainting it completely. I don't know if there are
kinds of paint that stick better to titanium than the paint Oly uses.

As a last note: you might want to see if the seller is willing to lower the
price of the camera because it has the brassing, who knows, you might be
able to pull that off...

Cheers!
Olafo