Re: [OM] zoom lens suggestion/ AF lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] zoom lens suggestion/ AF lenses
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 15:39:57 EDT
In a message dated 7/17/99 9:26:08 PM EST, WKato@xxxxxxx writes:

<< Your subjective appreciation is borne out by ColorFoto tests which placed
it
 a tad below N*k*n but above the rest of the fray.  >>

        Warren,
        THANK YOU for the info on the lens tests. I recognized a couple other
lenses that I had owned thru the years, and those results ranked them
basically as my dusty memory bank had them!
        Boy, it was hard not typing "Zuiko" when I referred to the OLY AF
lens! My experience with OLY OM-77AF and lenses are both very recent and
limited, but it has certainly been a pleasant surprise since I really didn't
expect much from this part of the OLY line. I felt there must have been a
performance reason why OLY so quickly and thoroughly cast these off, but the
photo results have been great. The OM-77 has become my favorite "grab"
camera, a somewhat hefty P&S for sure, but the lenses are terrific. I even
took a few shots with the built-in flash that everyone says is an almost
total waste, and the photos were exposed perfectly. I just don't  get it, it
seems OLY had a solid starter here to continue the AF program, but didn't. I
know AF evolved rapidly in those days, and I'm guessing OLY chose not to
spend the do-re-mi to continue development, and get into a race with Canon
and Minolta, the early trendsetters.
        Warren, the test results you posted- are they available to be viewed
somewhere on the web, or was that an article that you had, or a composite of
several test articles? I'd be interested in seeing that in more detail, if
there was any. If not on the web, or in a library, is there any chance you
could fax or e-mail it to me?

Thanks
George S.