[OM] ADITL1_16

Subject: [OM] ADITL1_16
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 21:00:05 -0500
A friend tells me this race aired on TNN...he says the announcers were
talking about how it looked like this guy's brakes were gonna catch on fire.
One other thing to note is that there's no minimum weight for those cars,
either, so they have gotten down to about 1200 pounds. The race was held at
Heartland Park, Topeka, Kansas.

Catching race cars in "available" light traveling at over 100 MPH with a
long lens is tough...I don't think I could do any better. That said, maybe
catching them a little earlier in the turn might have worked better, both
from the standpoint of sharpness and to better show the guy's brakes about
to catch fire. Was this shot handheld? A monopod might have helped, but then
it might have hurt more, too... Very tough conditions for the shot, and a
good depiction of the speed involved.