[OM] Digital photo sharpening

Subject: [OM] Digital photo sharpening
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 01:13:13 +0100
Tomoko Yamamoto wrote:
>...When I got Photoshop late last fall
>and started using unsharp mask at the end of every digital improvement on
the
>PhotoCD file, I got much sharper dye-sub prints...

Scanner and graphics newsgroups have been buzzing about a Sharpening Filter
for use with Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro that's being given away free until
the end of July, and I'm not sure that I've seen it mentioned on the Oly
List, but as it's well worth having, I'll risk duplicating the details:
The site is http://www.metacreations.com/products/kptx/index.html and the
free product is KTP Sharpener Filter (or something similar) that is for
installing into your PlugIn directory.

You have to go through the procedure of selecting it, putting it in your
shopping trolley and paying the price of $0.00. You will then be able to
download a small program called Smartcert. When you run it, you are returned
to the site to download the main program - just over 3 megs I think.
Smartcert also has your unlock code, which you will have to use the first
time you call up the program from Photoshop, so run it before you run
Photoshop (or PSP) and use the option tab to copy the code into the
clipboard ready for pasting into the program.

It is clearly, and disgracefully, meant to be restricted to customers in the
USA, Canada and Germany, but the problem has been overcome by people in the
rest of the world as follows: Enter your name, address and postcode and
email address and when you are asked for your State and Country, just pick
one of each from the list. (I'm listed as living in Missouri, Germany!).

I haven't spent too much time with the program as yet - it has three
sections - but the sharpener is excellent as it has a much wider range than
standard sharpening tools and can be fine tuned.

There were lots of reports of difficulties in downloading earlier in the
month apparently caused by server problems but they seem to have been
resolved now. My copy downloaded at the first attempt, but then I'd waited
to ensure that it would work with PSP5 as I don't use Photoshop.

Regards,
Keith Berry (Birmingham, England)
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx