[OM] OM-4 Viewfinder Question

Subject: [OM] OM-4 Viewfinder Question
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 17:19:31 +0000
John H. mentioned a while back the plastic (?) window in the OM-4
viewfinder is a bit fragile.  Well, mine went a couple of weeks ago and I
don't even know how it happened . . . didn't drop or jar the camera and it
was in the never-ready case.  I was able to extract the three large pieces
it split into (reassembled them so I know I got all of them).

The question now is how essential is the plastic window?  I've shot four
rolls through without any apparent affect on the dioptric correction or
focus, so it doesn't *appear* to have an essential function for camera
operation.  I am left wondering if it is essential to sealing up and
keeping contamination out of the prism area, or perhaps some other
important function I'm not aware of, and how critical it might be to have
it replaced.  In other words, it this something that doesn't really need to
be fixed, can wait for a while when it is convenient, or should be repaired
soonest?

Thanks,
-- John